Maryland’s 6th Congressional District is prime example of the partisan gerrymandering that occurred in Maryland after the 2010 census, the Emergency Commission tasked with redrawing it hopes its work will help Maryland find its way to enacting a more transparent, independent and multi-partisan redistricting process.
District 6 (Phil Ateto) Speaking at Benisk rally at SCOTUS in March 2018
Posted by· February 06, 2019 11:45 AM
Posted by· January 30, 2019 10:22 AM
On 1/24/19 this information was delivered to members of the Maryland General Assembly to help keep them informed on the strides being made across the country in redistricting reform, and ask them to act now! Feel free to share this information with your legislator, friends, neighbors, and anyone you can educate about the need for Fair Maps in Maryland!
The clock is ticking. Following the 2020 census the Maryland General Assembly must approve new legislative and Congressional election districts.
Will they be drawn in a fair and transparent manner or will Maryland continue to be one of the most gerrymandered states in the nation?Let's work together to find a better way to do redistricting.
Press Release - November 13, 2018
The League of Women Voters of Maryland and member Leagues across the state are celebrating the U.S. District Court’s November 7th decision to require our state to redraw the boundaries of the 6th Congressional District. The Court’s decision follows one day after voters in Michigan, Colorado and Missouri voted to get rid of Gerrymandered boundaries by margins of 61%, 71% and 62% respectively.Read more
Congressional districts and government legislative bodies should be apportioned substantially on population. We oppose partisan and racial gerrymandering that strips rights away from voters. Join us by taking the pledge for Fair Maps!
Sign the pledge and tell the world you support redistricting reform in Maryland - before it's too late!
I support redistricting reform that includes:
1) A state redistricting process and standards that promote fair and effective representation in the state legislature and House of Representatives with maximum opportunity for public scrutiny
2) An independent citizens redistricting reform commission to carry out the redistricting process
3) Districting standards that require districts to be substantially equal population, geographic contiguity and geographic compactness
People Powered Campaign for #FairMaps
What if you were told your vote wouldn't count for a full decade?
Would you be content to let others choose your elected representatives, heedless of your personal views?
What if those deciding weren't your neighbors but party politicians at the state level?
That's gerrymandering in a nutshell.
"Gerrymander" - the process of manipulating the drawing of election maps for political gain during the decennial redistricting process.
Want to find out what your gerrymander looks like? Click below to explore!
(Federal Level Representatives)
(State Level Representatives)
The League of Women Voters of Maryland supports:
- A state redistricting process and standards that promote fair and effective representation in the state legislature and House of Representatives with maximum opportunity for public scrutiny.
- An independent commission as the preferred redistricting body. The membership of the redistricting commission should be multi-partisan, include unaffiliated voters, be geographically representative and not include any current state elected official.
- Standards on which the redistricting plan is based should include: substantially equal population, geographic contiguity and geographic compactness.
- Final approval by the General Assembly for the legislative and Congressional redistricting plans. An amendment to the Maryland Constitution affirming that the redistricting process for the House of Representatives should occur only once each ten years after the census.
- An amendment to the Maryland Constitution affirming that the redistricting process for the House of Representatives should occur only once every ten years after the census.
If you too support this position - Click the Map Below to sign our support pledge Today
Ready to Learn More?
Click below for for access to the Redistricting Empowerment Toolkit
The information inside this toolkit will prepare you to slay your gerrymander & even help you teach others how to slay theirs! Check it out!
Ready for ACTION?
Learn more about our advocacy efforts & what YOU can do to help by Clicking Below!
Every $1 gets us closer to reform!
LWVMD has been working on the issue of Redistricting Reform for Many Years in Coalition with other groups in Maryland dedicated to a Fair Redistricting Process - This Coalition is known as Tame the Gerrymander - Just Click Below to Learn More about What Our Coalition's been Up To since the Maps were gerrymandered in 2011.